Senior Designer, Product
You’ll be joining us as a Sr. Designer, Product on our Design team. We believe we can fearlessly design to change the world and culture around us, one experience at a time, by delivering beautiful experiences, strategies, and products.
In your role as Sr. Designer, you work either independently or in conjunction with your fellow designers and teams to find ‘big ideas’ based on design strategy, research, and a shared understanding of the project goals. You have a passion for creative and design excellence, keeping a healthy balance between current creative, design trend knowledge and creative intuition — always grounding the work in sound strategic design rationale.
You have experience with and practice a human-centered, lean product design process. You want to make a difference and have an impact through design-oriented thinking to create great experiences for people. You want to tackle the complex challenge of designing a consistent, easy-to-use, and delightful product experience across all platforms for several different types or groups of people. You have a good sense for what will work and what won’t - you stay on the cusp of what’s next in design and technology, embracing it and sharing it with everyone around you. And you’re confident in saying when you see something wrong: it pains you to see sloppily done work.
Basically... You are embarrassed by anything with your name on it that is not amazing.
Like all of us at andculture, we really hope you like to do lots of fun, crazy, and exciting things! Here’s a list of the things we expect you can help us with:
- Work with our strategy and Human Centered Design teams to interpret our client partners’ business challenges and goals, creating scalable design systems: strategy and design walk hand-in-hand, not phase-after-phase.
- Co-create with our teams thoughtful presentations to communicate crisp concepts to our client partners.
- Work with our software engineers to ensure strategy and design solutions are leveraging (and pushing) technical possibilities.
- Collaborate with developers, and engineers to ensure consistent patterns and user-experience. Take their input into account early and often.
- Give and solicit open and honest feedback in order to continually raise the bar - you aren’t afraid of a good debate!
- Mentoring and growing talent on the design team by providing art direction and strategic guidance.
- Recognizing when to conceptually converge and diverge throughout the creative process, and providing direction on when to do so to designers you are partnering with or mentoring.
- Simplification of challenges and breaking down of big problems into defined steps and processes, taking the solution and teams from ambiguity to clarity.
- Share your areas of passion and expertise with the organization and external audiences.
- Champion the practice of design and look for ways to apply design thinking and practices in innovative ways to help fulfill our mission of reinventing realities.
- Acknowledge when process improvements and refinements are needed at project and team levels, and work with your Design Director and project teams to align on changes and desired outcomes.
An ideal candidate will have most of these skills & qualifications:
- 8+ years of experience, designing web & mobile applications, with a strong portfolio that demonstrates your role in Web, Digital, UX/Product, and everything in between.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Graphic Design or Visual Communications, or equivalent experience to be assessed upon portfolio review (we know there are plenty of self-taught wildly talented designers that could give an MFA a run for their money!).
- Experience in leading within a team environment, juggling multiple projects in different stages and complexity levels.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and familiarity with agile practices, Scrum processes, and Lean UX philosophies.
- Experience mentoring designers either within a previous place of employment or within the professional design community.
- Strong communication skills and working knowledge of graphic design and digital media.
- Hunger for learning, growth and opportunities to collaborate with a team.
- Outstanding technical skills with Adobe Creative Suite; familiarity with new media technology/software is a plus (not a requirement, as you will learn a ton from our rockstar team of developers).
- Must be capable of collaborating confidently with other agency and supplier team members and have a passion for cracking tough strategic and design problems.
- Ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with a team, with excellent time-management skills.
- Evidence of strong conceptual thinking and design development.
- Ability to sketch, wireframe, prototype and create high fidelity physical and digital experiences.
- Evidence of strategic, creative and/or UX solutions that supports project goals.
- Advocate for users through clear communication and articulate design rationale.
- Evidence of understanding B2B and B2C businesses.
- Basic working knowledge of CSS/HTML.
- Ability to create prototypes using tools like Invision and Figma.
- Expertise in the distinct platform differences between Desktop, mobile web, iOS and Android.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, along with presentation skills: we expect you to be able to strategically present and defend work in front of our client partners, while mentoring your team in doing just that.
- Complete understanding and proving examples of how strategy, content and design intersect together.